Preparing your Christmas ham starts with picking the right ham. But did you know that around 65 – 70% of ham sold in Australia is made from imported pork? To be sure you’re buying Australian ham, look for the distinctive Australian Pork logo or buy a bone-in ham. Check out our Christmas Hams online.
How to glaze your ham
- Prepare your favourite glaze recipe. ( If you are looking for a pre-made glaze we stock a range of delicious ham glazes ).
- Remove rind and use a sharp knife to score ham in a diamond pattern.
- Place ham scored side up in a large baking pan and brush over glaze
- Place into a pre-heated oven or hooded BBQ at 180°C for about 20 minutes per kg, basting occasionally, until ham is brown and warmed through.
How to cut a whole leg of ham
- Place ham skin side up. Then run a small sharp knife under the rind around the bottom (opposite end to hock) and each side of the ham to about halfway up. Peel the rind back.
- Run the tip of the knife around the bone, on the underside of the ham. Begin to slice on a slight angle down to the bone.
- Run your knife lengthways along the bone to remove slices. Continue to slice towards the hock.
- Continue slicing down to the bone, working your way around the ham until you reach about a third of the way up. Remove the bone by making a few short cuts at the joint.
- To keep your ham fresh, fold rind back over exposed surface, place in a Ham Bag, pillowcase or wrap in a tea towel and store in the fridge.
SPICED HONEY & ORANGE
¾ cup orange juice
½ tsp nutmeg
1 cup honey
1 cup orange marmalade, sieved
¼ cup grand marnier or whisky
Combine the orange juice, nutmeg, honey, orange marmalade and grand mariner into a small saucepan and heat over a low heat until ingredients have dissolved and continue to simmer until liquid is reduced by half.
Place the prepped ham into a large baking dish and brush with the glaze.
1 whole orange, zest and juice
1 whole orange cut in half and sliced. Remove pith and any seeds
60g Dijon mustard
150g brown sugar
300ml sweet red wine, eg Lambrusco
Place the orange zest, orange juice, Dijon mustard and brown sugar into a stainless steel bowl and mix well
Decorate the prepped diamond cut ham with the sliced oranges and the cloves.
Place the glazed ham in a baking dish and pour in the sweet wine around the ham
Carefully brush the glaze over the ham
Baste the ham with the whiskey glaze every 20 minutes.
500ml chicken stock
300g cherry jam
300g frozen red currents
60ml apple cider vinegar
60g Dijon mustard
100ml maple syrup
freshly ground pepper
Garnishes: fresh cherries, fresh sage sprigs
Place the prepped ham in a roasting pan and add ½ the chicken stock to pan.
Stir together the remaining chicken stock and the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until mixture is slightly reduced.
Cover and chill half of cherry mixture until ready to serve.
Brush ham with half of cherry mixture.
PLUM & POMEGRANATE
1 cup pomegranate or black current juice
1 cup sugar
1 cup plum jam
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1 cup pomegranate seeds
In a medium saucepan place the juice, sugar, plum jam and mixed spice. Bring to the boil stirring. Allow to simmer until liquid has reduced by half.
When serving decorate the ham with pomegranate seeds.