Looking for a delicious and easy dessert option that’s great for both young and old? Crispy, fresh apples make the best treat in this simple recipe that is also great served with ice-cream or yoghurt!
Preparation time : 35 minutes
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 160 ml milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 5mm rings
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk milk, egg yolk and melted butter together.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients: 2 tbsp caster sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and gradually add the egg mixture, whisk until smooth.
- Pour 5- 7cm of oil into a large pot or Dutch oven and heat over medium to high heat to 200 degrees.
- Prepare apples and drizzle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- To make the cinnamon sugar combine ¼ cup of caster sugar with the cinnamon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs with an electric beater or whisk until peaks form but are not too stiff. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter to combine.
- Dip the apple slices in the batter one at a time allowing the excess to drip off.
- Fry in hot oil approx 2 minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Only fry small batches at a time to avoid the oil cooling and fritters sticking together.
- Remove cooked fritters with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon sugar and serve warm.
- These are great on their own or served with good-quality vanilla ice cream.
Recipe by A Better Choice
Shop for your ingredients in-store or online.