Preparation time: 30 minutes to 1 hour
Cooking time: over 2 hours
- 5½ -7¼kg ham with the bone in
- 2 onions, quartered
- few cloves
- few black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp mustard
- 75g demerara sugar, depending on the size of ham
- 300ml chicken stock (to make a gravy)
- Place the soaked ham in a large pan, with the onions, cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf.
- Cover with water, bring to the boil and skim away any impurities. Leave the ham to simmer, allowing 20 minutes per 450g(1lb).
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Once cooked, remove the ham from the pan and stand for 10-15 minutes before peeling away the skin.
- The fat can be left as it is or scored, creating a diamond pattern. Brush the ham with mustard and sprinkle well with the demerara sugar.
- Bake the ham for 30-40 minutes taking care to baste the ham with juices and the caramelised sugar. Once golden, remove from the oven and rest for 15-30 minutes before carving, or leave until cold.
- To make gravy, pour the chicken stock into the roasting pan to lift any residue in the pan and simmer until reduced by one-third to one-half and strain.
Recipe Tips: The ham may need to be soaked in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water occasionally