Preparation: 1 hour
- 1 cup split chickpeas
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each of fennel seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 white potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 cup pumpkin, diced
- ¼ cup split red lentils
- 400g light coconut milk
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground chilli
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 300ml water
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Cooked white rice, to serve
- Thoroughly rinse the split chickpeas, then drain. Soak chickpeas in a bowl with enough cold water to cover them. Soak for at least 4-5 hours, ideally overnight.
- Heat olive oil in a deep saucepan or pot (with a 2-3L capacity) over a medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, onion, fennel seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds to the pan and sauté for a few mins, until the onion starts caramelizing.
- Add the carrot, potato, cauliflower, zucchini and pumpkin. Reduce heat to a medium low heat and cook for around 6-8 mins until the vegetables are turning a shade darker.
- Add the soaked chickpeas to the pot, along with the soaking water, stirring well.
- Then add the split red lentils, coconut milk, spices, salt and water, stirring to combine. Increase the heat to medium, then cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for a further 15-20 mins. If starting to thicken, add some water, then reduce the heat slightly and continue simmering until the vegetables and chickpeas are cooked.
- To serve, garnish the dal with freshly chopped coriander on a bed of steamed rice.
Enjoy ! Shop for your ingredients in-store or online.