Preparation: 1.5 Hours
Serves: 4 – 6
FOR THE TOMATO SAUCE
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 170g tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
FOR THE MINCE
- 500g beef mince
- 250g pork mince
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 375g fresh pappardelle
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- To make the tomato sauce, preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Drizzle tomatoes with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then top with a generous crack of black pepper and the fresh basil.
- Place the tray in the oven and roast for 25 mins.
- Once done, remove the roasted tomatoes from the oven, and transfer all of the ingredients from the baking tray into a blender or food processor.
- Add the tomato paste, dried parsley, dried oregano, remaining 1 tsp black pepper and salt to the blender.
- Blend until smooth, then set aside.
- In a deep pot, cook onion in oil until it softens before adding in the garlic, carrot and celery. Stir constantly until the veggies have softened.
- Add in the beef and pork mince, and brown. You may need to ladle out some excess oil/fat from the meat.
- Next, add the wine and simmer for around 10 mins. Then add your milk and simmer for another 5 mins.
- Stir through the bay leaf, then add the tomato sauce. Place a lid on your pot and let it simmer on low for 30 mins. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- With 5-10 mins left on the clock, boil a separate pot of salted water and cook the pappardelle until al dente.
- Serve generous bowls of pappardelle, topped with a ladle of fresh Bolognese sauce, fresh herbs and grated parmesan if desired.
Shop for ingredients at Zone Fresh In-Store or Shop Online HERE