Preparation: 20 mins
Cooking : 40 mins
- 3 small brown onions, diced
- 3 tbs butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, grated
- 2 pears, peeled, roasted & chopped
- 4 cups roasted pumpkin flesh
- 2 cups chicken stock (plus more if required)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup croutons
- 3 slices pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the butter over a medium-low heat and add the onions, cooking until the onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another couple of mins.
- Add the roasted pumpkin flesh and roasted pears, as well as the chicken stock. Note: Add more broth if it needs it.
- Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon and simmer over a low heat for approx. 30 mins.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Then, blend the mixture, adjusting the seasonings as required and adding additional stock to reach your desired soup thickness.
- To make the garnish, heat the oil in a fry pan, and add the chopped pancetta. Cook the pancetta until it’s beginning to crisp up, then add the croutons, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring often until the croutons are golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the chopped parsley. In individual bowls, top the soup with the garnish mixture and serve immediately.
Shop for your ingredients in-store or online.