There’s nothing quite like a good upside-down cake that is perfectly moist and celebrates summer flavours any time of the year!
This recipe was made in collaboration with our friend Chef Tom Walton!
Preparation : 30 minutes
Cooking : 45 minutes
Serves : Makes a 124 cm cake
Cake Batter :
- 1 ½ cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- ½ tsp dried, ground ginger
- 3 free-range eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt + extra to serve
- 2 passionfruit + pulp of 3 more, to serve
- Preheat an oven to 180C, grease and line a 24cm cake tin.
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthways then slice 5mm thick slices down each length.
- Place the butter, brown sugar along with zest and juice of the orange and 2 tbsp water into a large frying pan and place over a medium/high heat to simmer to make a syrup.
- Keep it on a low simmer and working in batches, cook the pineapple slices in the brown sugar for approx. 1 minute each side then transfer to a plate and continue cooking the remaining pineapple. Keep any remaining syrup in the pan to pour over the finished cake.
- Layer the pineapple around the base of a cake tin, overlapping each slice by about 1/3, then fill in the centre. Dice any remaining pineapple slices to add to the cake mix and combine any remaining juices from the cooked pineapple with the syrup in the pan.
- For the cake mix combine the dry ingredients well in a mixing bowl add the eggs, coconut oil, yoghurt, the pulp of the 2 passionfruit, any remaining diced pineapple and mix everything to just combined.
- Spoon this evenly into the cake tin, over the pineapple, smooth out and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, until firm and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes then turn the cake out, flipping onto a plate so the pineapple is on top. To serve, reduce any remaining syrup to slightly thicken, spoon this over the cake along with the remaining passionfruit and serve with extra yoghurt.
This recipe was made in collaboration with our friend Chef Tom Walton! & A Better Choice.
Shop for your ingredients in-store or online.